NOTE OF THE DAY:

June 2015

Considering starting the blog back up ?

Sunday 17 June 2007

The Language of a fan...

I found this article on the following website:
http://thecompletevictorian.com/TheFan.html

Terribly interesting. All about young ladies could comminicate without speaking from the other side of the room.

Background
Young ladies in the Victorian era were ruled by a strict code of behavior. The higher the social class the higher the moral standards. Life's ceremonies regarding everyday life, social situations and courtship were strict and exact. Ladies and gentlemen had little chance to interact except at the lovely and lavish dances. Even there, one had to be introduced, and even if introduced to dance, that didn't mean one felt free to converse when not dancing. And what if no one introduced you? So, even though they might not be speaking to each other, conversations were going on. Sometimes across a room, sometimes in a group. The lovely ladies always had a fan to cool themselves as well as to convey information.



The Codes themselves:
In right hand, open- You are too willing
In left hand, open- Desirious of an aquaintance.
In right hand in front of face- Follow me
Fanning fast - I'm engaged
Slow - I'm married
In front of face, left hand - Leave me
Right hand - Follow me
Half open slowly shut - Kiss me
or handle to lips- You may kiss me
Twirling it on left hand - I love another
Draw across forhead - We're being watched
Placing fan behind head- Do not forget me
Placing behind head with finger extended-Goodbye
Closing it - I wish to speak to you
Dropping - We will be fiends
Open and shut sharply - Your are cruel
Drawing across eyes- I'm sorry
Drawing through hand - I hate you
Drawing across cheek- I love you
Held over left ear- I wish you to go.
Rest on left cheek- No
Rest on right cheek- Yes
Twirling fan in right hand- I love another
Presenting the fan shut- Do you love me?
Touching a finger to the tip of the fan- I wish to speak to you
Shutting a fully open fan slowly- I promise to marry you
Hands clasped together holding fan open- Forgive me
Covering left ear with open fan- Do not betray our secret
Closed fan touching right eye- When shall we meet?
If the fan was open slightly, the number of ribs showing
conveyed the hour of their meeting.
Hiding behind an open fan- I love you
Fan near heart- You have won my heart.



Isn't this amusing? It's like going on an army mission with secret codes and what not. I guess going into a drawing room WAS rather like going on campaign...

No comments: